As I write what is now the fourth blog, citing “a-doctor-a-day” who is participating and actively recruiting for a study that would implant NEW WOMEN with Coloplast’s Restorelle Direct Fix mesh product, I realize that my blog posts could come across as a “witch hunt” of sorts. This notion couldn’t be further from the truth.
I have a genuine and deep concern for the 900 women who would be participants in this study if it proceeds, and I am trying to engage physicians. I reference fact-based evidence, cite published scientific research, and offer these doctors information about the FDA warnings regarding mesh implant, especially for POP.
If you are a mesh-injured patient, you are keenly aware that many of your physicians ARE NOT AWARE of the FDA warnings but became aware when you, yourself, brought it to your physician’s attention.
View my letter to the FDA (left) and CLICK HERE TO READ MY BLOG ABOUT IT, citing specific reasons with third-party sourcing. You may want to use some of this information when you contact physicians recruiting for this study.
In addition to my posts here, I am calling and/or emailing EACH doctor/lead researcher personally. I IMPLORE YOU TO DO THE SAME.
I want our community to engage in a conversation with these folks to explain WHY THIS STUDY IS FLAWED IN DESIGN AND IS UNETHICAL.
I AM NOT MERELY “EXPOSING” DOCTORS OR TRYING TO HARM THE REPUTATIONS OF THESE FOLKS. I am trying to start a dialog, so that our community’s voices are heard, and so that these doctors know how large is our community of severely injured people.
To that end, today’s doctor to call/email is:
Dr. Ty Erickson and his colleague Ms. Lisa Boozer, CRC, of Rosemark Women Care Specialists.
|Rosemark Women Care Specialists|
|Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States, 83404|
|Contact: Lisa Boozer, CRC 208-557-2981 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Principal Investigator: Ty Erickson, MD, FACOG|
As a gentle reminder:
When/if you call, start by listening and asking the doctor/liaison questions. Try to open an honest dialogue about why you think the study has the potential to seriously harm women, and why this harm is PREVENTABLE, since there is already a population of implanted patients to study.
When you call, be as clinical and brief as possible. Our stories are SO PERSONAL and of SUCH DEVASTATION, that we can be tempted to rely on any ear to listen to the horror of our stories.
I am suggesting that you call these physicians in an effort to help the patient population who is being recruited. Lean into your community for social support for your own injuries and for coping with the significant loss of quality of life that you endure.
The goal is making these calls is to INFORM physicians about the PREVENTABLE harm this study will cause.
Here are some questions you might start your conversation with:
- You might first start by asking listening. Document his/her answers.
- WHY, doctor, are you participating in this study?
- HAVE you seen the research proving mesh is unsafe as a permanent implant?
- ARE you aware of the adverse reactions of the patients you have formerly implanted? Would you follow up with them and ask how he/she is doing 3+ years after implant?
- ASK – What’s in it for you doctor? Are you aware of the legal implications?
- ASK – Are you being personally compensated for this study and in what ways?
- ARE you aware of the liability you face In federal Bellwether trials, some physicians who’ve testified no longer practice. Are you aware that significant liabilities may be of great future burden to you and your practice?
- EXPLAIN the reasons you do not want this study to proceed.
- EXPLAIN to them that your intention is to inform, give he/she more resources and information to have the chance to CHOOSE to halt participation in this study.
- BUT, if he/she will not take your call seriously (or take your call at all) you will take other actions, like contacting your state’s AG.
- INFORM he/she that you will use your voice online to dissuade women from becoming patients of their practice.
Below is a list of physicians/facilities I have already contacted. If you have not yet contacted one or more of these physicians, please click on the link for contact information, and please contact them immediately.
If WE do not make our voices heard, who will? We are PLAN B, and there is NO PLAN A.